It is important to have regular backups for your self-hosted Kendis instance.
How to Backup
To take backup follow these steps.
- System Dashboard is accessible at <URL-for-your-Kendis>/system
- The default username for the system section is "sysadmin" and the password is "admin". We recommend changing the default password from the change password option to the admin section.
- Once at the System administration section, click on the "Backup" option from the left navigation
- Click on the "Backup Now" button at the top right corner. Once you click this button, ensure to click the browser refresh button to view the latest changes.
- You can view the list of previously created backups.
- It is no longer possible to download the backup from the UI. You need to go inside the Kendis Docker container to access the backup file. Instructions are available at the end of this article.
Restore from Backup
Kendis provides options to restore the system from the backup.
- To restore, you must access the Kendis Docker Container and run the restore command.
Access Kendis Docker for Backup and Restore
To enter into Kendis Docker follow these steps
- Open a command prompt at the server where you have installed Kendis Docker
- Find your Kendis docker container ID, using the command
> docker ps
- Enter into Docker container
> docker exec -it <container-id> /bin/bash
- Once inside the Docker container, run the following command to take the backup.
- To restore, first, navigate to Kendis backup directory by typing the command
> cd /var/lib/kendis-backup
View the list of the files in this backup directory and choose the latest backup file that you want to restore from
> /opt/restore.sh <backupfilename>