When you create the board first time, there is option to create JIRA ALM Connection. There are 3 fields that you need to provide
- Name: This is just a string to identify the JIRA Connection
- URL: For your JIRA (cloud or self-hosted)
- Credentials: Your JIRA username and password
When you press "Test Conenction", we try to verify if the user has rights to access the projects in JIRA via API and secondly we check if user is able to create the "Web hook" at JIRA for Kendis.
If user has admin rights at JIRA then the webhook will be created automatically. So no extra step is required and simply press SAVE and complete your Kendis board that is connected to JIRA.
How to create webhook at JIRA?
Steps to create web hook
- First go to Kendis and copy the webhook URL. You need to have "Super Admin" rights to access this URL https://<yourinstance>.kendis.io/administration#almaccounts
- Go to Administration section at JIRA and then navigate to "webhooks" section. You can also use this URL to directly jump to web hooks section https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/webhooks (Remember to replace URL with your JIRA instance URL).
- Click on "Create a Webhook"
- Type "Name" to identify the webhook and in the URL section, paste the URL that was copied from Kendis
- Now select the "Events"
- Narrow down the projects and item types using JQL:
It's highly recommended to narrow down the scope of your webhook settings using JQL. e.g., only choose projects that will be using Kendis.
project in ("project a", "Project b" and issuetype in (Epic,Story)
- Press "Create" and the webhook will be create at JIRA.
How to Optimize Webhook at Jira
Please check this article that explains how to optimize your webhook settings at Jira.
How to test the webhook?
To test the webhook you can run a simple test.
Go to your Kendis board that you have created and click on the ID of any card.
It will open item in JIRA. Now at JIRA, just change the status of the card.
Switch back to Kendis and wait for around 30 seconds, the status of the card should be updated at Kendis automatically. If you don't see the change at Kendis, then it means the webhook is not configured correctly. Please ensure that the events are selected properly and also the URL at JIRA for Kendis web hook is correct.
Why do you need web hook?
Web hook is the mechanism to notify Kendis about the changes made in JIRA, e.g., if user updates status of the user story at JIRA then with web hook, Kendis will able to identify the status update and will make a change at Kendis automatically and ensures that the user story status at Kendis same as JIRA.
Note: For changes from Kendis to JIRA, we use the API calls (so in case web hook is not configured, you still be able to make changes in JIRA from Kendis, like creating new stories, or updating status of user story from Kendis to JIRA).